Split pea soup.
You can have Split pea soup using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Split pea soup
- It’s 500 g of split peas, green.
- It’s 4 cups of chicken broth.
- It’s 2 1/2 cups of water.
- You need 2 tablespoons of butter.
- It’s 2 stalks of celery, diced.
- It’s 2 of medium carrots, diced.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 of medium onion, diced.
- Prepare 500 g of ham, diced.
- Prepare 1 of Bay leaf.
- Prepare of Salt & Pepper, to taste (I use 1 tsp of salt, and 2 tsp pepper).
- You need 1 pinch of thyme.
Split pea soup step by step
- Put split peas in a large pot, along with chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat, cover, and set aside for 1 hour..
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in onion, celery, and sliced garlic. Cook slowly until the onions are translucent but not brown, 5 to 8 minutes..
- After peas have sat for an hour, put pot back on burner, and bring back to a boil. Once boiling, lower temperature to a simmer..
- Mix in ham, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, and vegetable mixtute. Stir to combine, and simmer slowly until the peas are tender and the soup is thick, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir occasionally..
- If the soup is too thick for your liking, feel free to add more water, slowly..