Ham, with Black Eyed Peas and Yellow Rice. I used drained canned black eyed peas, more ham than was called for. (I had a bunch of leftover ham from the holidays) Added a few red pepper flakes and a healthy. It's going to be another chilly night, throwing some stuff in the crockpot. Fingers crossed it turns out good 😊.
Tip: You can find saffron-flavored yellow rice mix with other rice mixes in your supermarket. Southerners serve black-eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck. Enjoy a bowl of this flavorful black-eyed peas with rice and ham anytime Stir in water, Rice Mix and ham. You can have Ham, with Black Eyed Peas and Yellow Rice using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Ham, with Black Eyed Peas and Yellow Rice
- Prepare of Rice————.
- Prepare 2 cup of yellow rice.
- You need 4 cup of water.
- You need 1 cup of ham, ham fat with skin, and bone marrow.
- You need of Black Eyed Peas————-.
- You need 1 pound of dried black eyed peas.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 of leftover ham shank from a smoked ham.
- You need 3 quarts of water +1 pint.
- Prepare To taste of hot vinegar sauce see my recipe optional.
If desired, garnish with additional finely chopped red onion and snipped thyme. Stir in the black-eyed peas and thyme. You can find yellow rice (made with saffron) near the rice mixes in your grocery store. Place black-eyed peas in a large deep pan.
Ham, with Black Eyed Peas and Yellow Rice step by step
- Cook the rice with the cup of ham fat, marrow, and skin..
- Stir occasionally. When the water is absorbed and craters form cover take off the heat and don't disturb for 20 minutes. Don't peek do not lift that lid..
- Add the shank to 3 quarts of water.
- Wash and remove any bad peas and any foreign objects, like rocks and so on….
- When the shank has boiled for 30 minutes add the peas..
- Let them boil about 90 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the pint of water and bring back to boil. Let it boil 10 minutes. Cover and let sit 15 minutes..
- Add rice to a bowl.
- Add black eyed peas to the bowl. If you want to add the hot vinegar sauce now is the time..
- I hope you enjoy!.
How to make vegan black-eyed peas. This recipe is super easy to modify for the vegetarians/ vegans in your life. Try this slow cooked salad made using Progresso™ chicken broth, black-eyed peas and ham – a simple and delicious main dish. Black-eyed peas served over steamed rice is called Hoppin' John. Drain peas and put them in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed soup pot.