Courgette sandwich loaf. Great recipe for Courgette sandwich loaf. This thing about vegetables belonging with your main course only is a load of rubbish. Whenever someone taunts me with that claim I chant: 'carrot cake, carrot cake!' and they quickly shut up.
Sliced and cooked courgettes plus some mashed potatoes – the bread has great texture, slices well so a good sandwich loaf, and it toasts like a dream. Beat together eggs, oil and sugar in a bowl until creamy. Sieve in the flour, bicarb and baking powder, and beat until well combined. You can make Courgette sandwich loaf using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here you go how you cook it.
Ingredients of Courgette sandwich loaf
- Prepare 15 g of fresh or 2 tsp fast action yeast.
- You need 200 ml of warm water.
- Prepare 325 g of strong white flour.
- It’s 150 g of courgettes, peeled and thinly sliced.
- It’s 50 ml of olive oil.
- Prepare 100 g of cooked mashed potato.
- It’s 75 g of rye flour.
- You need of about 2 tbsp. stoneground wholemeal flour.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of caster sugar.
- It’s 2 tsp of caraway seeds.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of fresh parsley and sage leaves, chopped finely.
Stir the grated courgettes into the mixture, and divide evenly. Remove from loaf pan and cool fully on a baking rack. Ideal for grilled cheese sandwiches, croutons, cold sandwiches or garlic toast just to name a few things. Courgette bread: a savoury loaf made with grated raw courgettes, it is good for slicing, buttering, and even turning into ham sandwiches.
Courgette sandwich loaf Step by step
- Cook the potatoes, mash and cool them. Cook the courgettes with a little of the olive oil on low heat until softened and translucent, but not mushy..
- In the meantime, mix the yeast with 50ml of the warm water and 2 tablespoons of the white flour, leave covered for 30 minutes..
- Add the onions and the mash to the yeasty mixture; add the rest of the water and white flour, the rye flour, salt, sugar and caraway seeds and mix to combine..
- Leave the dough standing for 10 minutes, then knead by hand or in a standing mixer with a dough hook attachment adding the rest of the oil. If the dough looks very sticky and doesn’t want to come together, add the wholemeal flour. Continue kneading until it’s smooth, stretchy and bounces off the sides of the bowl or stops sticking to your hands. Add the fresh chopped herbs and mix them in thoroughly..
- Place the dough in a large bowl (it will rise quite a lot), cover with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight..
- The next day flatten the dough to a rectangle and roll it up tightly, to the width of a loaf tin. Drop it into a buttered and floured tin, cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place to expand in volume by half – 1-2 hours..
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas 7. Dust the top of the loaf with flour, slash with a sharp knife down the middle and bake for 35 minutes. Then lower the heat to 180C/350F/gas 4 and bake for further 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack..
Slice off the top of the boule and set it aside. Scoop the bread outside of the inside of the boule to create a bread bowl. Reserve the scooped-out bread for another use, like snacking. BA's Best Sandwich Bread For BLTs, French toast, grilled cheeses, bread and jam, the daily lunchbox sandwich, or whenever an absolutely perfect loaf of bread is required. This is part of BA's Best.