Courgette Pie (Kolokythopita). Kolokithopita, or Greek Zucchini Pie, is perfect comfort food for the Summer. The dish is a simple combination of zucchini, onions, herbs, eggs & feta, wrapped in a flaky phyllo dough, which makes for an awesome, light vegetarian meal. This Greek zucchini pie recipe or pitas are a staple of Greek cooking because they make good use of the vegetables and ingredients of the season.
Phyllo can mean the thin sheets of phyllo you find in the frozen section of the super market, or homemade phyllo (dough) which most women in Greece would roll. Make this delicious Zucchini pie recipe (Kolokithopita) the traditional Greek way or just take a short cut. Traditional Greek recipes for homemade pies use homemade phyllo dough or commercial 'village' dough (xoriatiko phyllo), which is a little bit thicker than the usually paper thin phyllo and gives a more rustic touch. You can create Courgette Pie (Kolokythopita) using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here you go how you cook it.
Ingredients of Courgette Pie (Kolokythopita)
- Prepare 3 of large Courgettes.
- Prepare 100 grams of Parmesan Cheese grated.
- You need 100 grams of Feta Cheese in small cubes.
- Prepare 1 of large Onion grated.
- Prepare 3 of Eggs beaten.
- Prepare 150 grams of All Purpose Flour.
- Prepare 50 grams of bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Olive Oil.
- You need 1/4 cup of Dille chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Parsley chopped.
- It’s of Salt.
- You need of Pepper.
The zucchini phyllo pie turned out great! The phyllo ended up nice and golden brown, light and crispy and good. The herbed zucchini and feta filling worked really well in pie form and it was nice and tasty. I liked the combination of the fresh dill, mint and parsley which added a ton of flavour and a sense of freshness to the pie.
Courgette Pie (Kolokythopita) Preparation
- Grate Courgette in a bowl, and add 1 teaspoon of salt, and then place into a strainer for at least 2 hrs. so that all the water is drained out. Just to be sure squeeze the Courgettes so that it is completely dried from water..
- Place Courgette into a large bowl and slowly start adding in all the ingredients. Start off with the eggs and then Feta and continue with the herbs, bread crumbs, flour..
- Just a note that the Parmesan Cheese and Olive Oil should be the last ingredients tossed into the mixture..
- I use a tart baking pan for this recipe, if you don’t have one, you can use any small baking pan. Oil brush the pan first, and then sprinkle flour on all sides so that the Courgette mixture does not stick to the baking pan..
- Bake for 1 hr. at 180 degrees and until golden brown on top and bottom. When it is baked set aside to cool off for about 1/2 hr. Kali Orexi!!!.
Kolokithopita should be as well known as spanokopita! There is much more to Greek fillo pies than spinach and we should branch out to try something new. My Greek zucchini and feta pie has a tender filling full of herbs, cheese, squash, and eggs which is surrounded by a flaky fillo crust for a great vegetarian main dish. Zucchini and feta pie without phyllo. Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs.