Hoppin' John FUSF.
You can have Hoppin' John FUSF using 10 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Hoppin' John FUSF
- You need 2 lbs of pork neck.
- You need 1 lb of black-eyed peas.
- It’s 1 of large Spanish onion.
- It’s 2 of medium tomatoes.
- Prepare 2 of carrots.
- Prepare 2 stalks of celery.
- You need 2 of red peppers.
- It’s 1 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sage.
- Prepare to taste of salt and pepper.
Hoppin' John FUSF step by step
- Soak peas overnight in a large stock pot..
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat neck bones with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Roast neck bones in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, turning once to brown entirely. Set aside, reserving a tablespoon of the rendered fat..
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
- Bring peas to a rolling boil, skimming as needed, for an hour or until soft..
- Drain peas, reserving 1 cup of liquid..
- Chop onion, carrot, celery and red peppers. Set aside 1 pepper. Chop tomatoes separately..
- Saute onion, carrot and celery in a large Dutch oven until carrot is tender. Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 more minutes..
- Add peas, liquid from beans and rendered fat from neck bones..
- Layer neck bones with vegetable mixture in Dutch oven..
- Put Dutch oven in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 300, cook for 1 hour or until meat is falling off the bone..
- Remove neck bones from pot, let cool for a few minutes. Remove meat, chop, being careful to remove any small pieces of bone, and add back to pot. Stir well, put back in oven for a half hour..
- Serve with pickled jalapeño, remaining red pepper and sour cream..