You can cook Hopping John using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Hopping John
- It’s 1 pound of dried black-eyed peas.
- You need 1 of small smoked ham hock (about 1/2 pound).
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled 10 cups water.
- It’s 1/2 pound of spicy chorizo sausage or spicy Italian sausage.
- You need 1 cup of rice.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of sliced scallions (6 to 7).
Hopping John instructions
- Soak the black-eyed peas overnight in water to cover by 2 inches. Drain well..
- In a large pot, combine the drained black-eyed peas, ham hock, bay leaves, garlic and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a high simmer, partially cover and cook until the peas are almost tender, about 45 minutes..
- Meanwhile, remove the casings from the chorizo or prick the sausage in several places with the tines of a fork. Fill a medium skillet with about 1/8 inch of water. Add the sausages and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the sausages until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Set them aside and discard the cooking juices. When cool enough to handle, cut the sausages into 1/2 inch dice..
- Add the sausage, rice and salt to the pot, recover and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the scallions and bell pepper about 10 minutes before the rice is done. If desired, pull off any meat from the ham hocks and add to the pot. Discard the bay leaves..