Hoppin' John FUSF.
You can have Hoppin' John FUSF using 11 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Hoppin' John FUSF
- It’s 2 cups of black-eyed peas.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of salt.
- Prepare 3 of large carrots, large dice.
- You need 2 of large onions, roughly chopped.
- You need 6 cloves of garlic, whole.
- You need 2 lbs of pork neck.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of coarse black pepper.
- You need 2 tsp of thyme.
- It’s 1 tsp of sage.
- It’s 2 of red bell peppers for garnish, small dice.
- You need 2 cups of cooked rice.
Hoppin' John FUSF instructions
- Soak beans overnight in 1 gallon salted water.
- Drain and rinse.
- Boil beans until soft (1 – 1 1/2 hrs).
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- While beans are boiling, cut up aromatics, toss in olive oil, lightly salt. Roast for 20-30 minutes until slightly brown. Mash garlic before adding to dish..
- One half hour before combining ingredients, take pork neck out of refrigerator to come to room temp and wrap in cheesecloth..
- In a 6 quart Dutch oven, layer pork neck, beans and vegetables along with enough bean broth to cover. Reserve 2 cups broth to add while cooking..
- Add pepper, thyme and sage.
- With lid slightly ajar, bake in oven for 1-2 hours, adding liquid as necessary..
- Remove pork neck from dish, let cool..
- Unwrap pork, debone carefully..
- Serve over rice, garnish with freshly chopped red pepper and chili garlic sauce..