You can have Gingerbread Cookies using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Gingerbread Cookies
- It’s of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare of ginger , ground.
- It’s of baking soda.
- Prepare of cinnamon , ground.
- You need of nutmeg , freshly grated.
- Prepare of cloves , ground.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of butter , unsalted , softened.
- Prepare of brown sugar light.
- You need of egg large.
- It’s of molasses mild.
Gingerbread Cookies step by step
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, mixing until combined..
- Then add the molasses and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. On low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix just until the flour is incorporated, scraping the bowl as necessary, about 2 minutes. The dough will be very stiff and sticky..
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured baking sheet and pat it flat to a 1-inch thickness. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1 hour and up to 4 weeks. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment..
- Cut the chilled dough into quarters On a well-floured work surface, roll out one piece of dough to 1/8 inch thick (keep the remaining dough in the freezer). If the dough sticks to your work surface, slide an offset spatula under the dough to release it and dust the work surface with more flour..
- With a 4-1/4-inch cookie cutter, cut out the cookies and use an offset spatula to transfer them to the baking sheets, spacing them at least 1/2 inch apart. Brush off any excess flour..
- Gather and press the dough scraps together, then roll to 1/8 inch thick, and cut out more shapes. Add any remaining scraps to the next quarter of chilled dough. Continue rolling and cutting until the baking sheets are full..
- Bake the cookies, rotating and swapping the sheets’ positions halfway through baking, until firm to the touch and the edges are slightly golden, about 10 minutes..
- Slide the cookies on their parchment onto racks and let cool. Roll out and bake the remaining dough in batches on fresh sheets of parchment..