Greek Stew. This old Greek family recipe is a simple stew of chicken thighs in a mixture of white wine and tomato sauce with added flavors of cinnamon and lemon. Stifatho (in Greek: στιφάδο) is a delicious traditional Greek stew. The secret to achieving melt-in-the-mouth stifatho is simmering the meat and ingredients for a few hours to allow its flavours to mingle.
A rich, savory, tomato-based traditional Greek lamb stew with hints of cinnamon, thyme, and oregano. Serve with hilopitaki (a small square-shaped Greek pasta made with wheat, eggs, and milk). Please like, share, comment, and subscribe. You can cook Greek Stew using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here you go how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Greek Stew
- It’s 1/2 lb of Ground Lamb.
- It’s 1 of Onion.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 of eggplant.
- You need 2 of yellow squash.
- You need 3 of tomatoes.
- You need of fresh oregano and basil.
- Prepare 1/3 lb of Feta cheese.
Comment what you would like to see next. Greek Stew: This recipe is for an easy stew that adults and children both love. Fresh tomatoes and green beans can easily be substituted when in season, but I have included the canned/frozen. Top greek stew recipes and other great tasting recipes with a healthy slant from SparkRecipes.com.
Greek Stew Preparation
- Here are the ingredients before cooking..
- Brown the lamb by itself. There will be a lot of fat rendered..
- Remove the lamb from the pan and put it on a paper towel lined bowl..
- Wipe out the pan to get rid of the fat but don't wash the pan. Add the onion and cook for three minutes over medium heat in a couple of teaspoons of olive oil..
- Add garlic and cooked until fragrant (about 1 min). Then add cubed eggplant and squash..
- After the squash and eggplant are browned slightly (about 5 min) add diced tomatoes and about 1/4 c water or stock. (Red wine would be good, too) And 1/2 of the fresh oregano and basil..
- Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add the ground lamb and cubed feta cheese and reduce sauce by cooking with the lid off for 5 minutes.
- Finish the dish with the other half of fresh oregano and basil, salt and pepper, a few red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of your best olive oil. You can serve it over rice or pasta or have it with a couple of slices of crusty French bread to mop up the delicious broth. Enjoy!.
Delicious Greek vegetable stew – yes, there's stacks of olive oil in it but it's the Meditteranean diet! Stewing is suitable for the least tender cuts of meat that become tender and juicy with the slow Stews are similar to soups, and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two. A traditional Greek Giouvetsi (youvetsi) recipe made with orzo pasta, beef and a delicious tomato sauce. This is the perfect dish for your Sunday family dinner! This soup /stew is another one of those comfort foods served during the winter.