Brad's German potato salad. Bacon gives this warm German potato salad recipe a boost of flavor. The vinegar and sugar dressing on this salad has the perfect combination of salty This is my German mom's recipe too, minus the sugar. I also use more water as the potatoes really do soak up a lot of the liquid.
Add potatoes and bacon to the skillet; cook and stir gently over low heat until heated through. Hey, you DO all realize that there is more than one kind of German Potato Salad, right? every region's is different.some with bacon, some made with sour cream, some with. German potato salad is a savory twist on a classic potato salad. You can create Brad's German potato salad using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here you go how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Brad's German potato salad
- It’s 3 lbs of youkon gold or white potatoes.
- It’s 1/2 of LG sweet onion.
- Prepare 1 tbs of granulated chicken bouillon.
- It’s 1/2 lb of bacon, chopped and fried. Reserve grease.
- It’s 1 of med red onion, chopped.
- It’s 3/4 cup of white or cider vinegar.
- You need 1 tbs of mustard seed.
- It’s 6 of green onions, chop green and white parts.
- You need 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley.
- You need to taste of salt and pepper.
Made with a tangy onion dressing and topped with bacon, it is sure to be a hit! Traditionally from Southern Germany, the best German potato salad is made with a flavorful balance of vinegar, water, sugar, and salt and pepper. Hot potatoes dressed in a warm bacon, mustard, and vinegar dressing are what make this traditional German potato salad a family favorite. I can taste the pucker now.
Brad's German potato salad Step by step
- Peel, cube and cover potatoes with water in a Dutch oven. Add yellow onion, 1 tsp salt, and chicken bouillon. Boil until tender..
- At same time, fry bacon. When done, drain on paper towel. Reserve grease..
- When potatoes are done, drain in a colander. Discard onion. Keep dutch oven handy..
- Fry red onion in bacon grease until tender..
- Return potatoes to the Dutch oven. Keep covered with a lid..
- When onions are tender, add mustard seed, and vinegar to the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes..
- Add to potatoes, including all liquid and bacon grease. Add rest of ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Mix well and let sit on the counter for 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve and enjoy..
It's the telltale sign of the ultimate German potato salad. That vinegar punch mixed with spunky, grainy mustard in a bacon-studded. I'm not too big on the latter, but I have to hand it to the Germans with how they serve their potatoes, especially in potato salad. I remember lots of potatoes garnished with parsley, usually tossed in a light vinegar dressing, sometimes onions, and always blessedly mayo-free. For German potato salad, sliced potatoes are tossed with bacon, sautéed onions, fresh herbs, and a mustardy white wine dressing.