Greek lamb pastitsio bake with rocket salad. Sharing a traditional recipe for Pastitsio (Greek Lasagna) – an authentic Greek recipe shared from a Greek family. Pastitsio is a favorite traditional Greek dinner recipe. It's a Greek version of lasagna- characterized by a white and creamy bechamel sauce used in place of marinara and a hint of cinnamon.
Traditionally it is a ragu mixed with cooked pasta and baked under a blanket of béchamel sauce. A traditional Greek lasagna called pastitsio (pasticcio) – layers of ziti pasta, beef sauce, bechamel sauce, sprinkled with Feta and Gruyere cheese! Pastitsio is a very good example. You can make Greek lamb pastitsio bake with rocket salad using 17 ingredients and 12 steps. Here you go how you cook it.
Ingredients of Greek lamb pastitsio bake with rocket salad
- It’s 500 g of lamb mince.
- You need 2 tbsp of dried oregano.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 2 of brown onion.
- It’s 2 of garlic clove.
- You need 2 of beef stock cube.
- It’s 100 g of wild rocket.
- Prepare 400 g of tortiglioni pasta.
- It’s 4 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 30 ml of balsamic vinegar.
- You need 160 g of mature cheddar.
- It’s 60 g of butter.
- It’s 60 g of flour.
- It’s 700 ml of milk.
- You need of olive oil.
- Prepare of pepper.
- It’s of salt.
This dish is widely popular in Greek cuisine but I knew nothing about it until fairly recently. I saw a pastitsio recipe online. The Pastitsio (or Pastichio) is a famous Greek pasta bake with a spiced meat sauce and a silky béchamel. Nothing speaks family dinner better than Pastitsio!
Greek lamb pastitsio bake with rocket salad Step by step
- Here are the ingredients..
- Preheat oven to 200C (fan). Boil a kettle. Heat a large, dry, wide-based pan over a medium heat..
- Add the lamb mince to the pan and cook for 4-5 min. Break up the mince with a wooden spoon as you go..
- Meanwhile, peel and finely dice the brown onions. Peel and finely chop the garlic..
- Make a tomato stock: Dissolve the beef stock cubes and tomato paste in 550ml boiler water..
- Add the diced onion and chopped garlic to the pan and cook for 7-8 min further (or until the onion has softened). Once softened, add the ground cinnamon and dried oregano and cook for 1 min further (or until fragrant). Once fragrant, add the tomato stock and cook for 4-5 min further (or until thickened to a ragu-like consistency)..
- Meanwhile, add the tortiglioni to a pot of boiled water with a large pinch of salt and bring to the boil over a high heat. Cook the pasta for 8-10 min (al dente!). Once done, drain and rinse under cold water and set aside for later. (This gets rid of the pasta starch and will stop it sticking together). Save for later..
- Meanwhile, make a roux: Return the pot to a medium heat with 60g butter. Once melted, add 60g flour and stir with a wooden spoon for 1-2 min (or until a sandy paste forms)..
- Turn your roux into a bechamel sauce: Gradually whisk 700ml milk into the roux, a little at a time, and cook for 5 min (or until a smooth thick sauce remains)..
- Add the cooked pasta to the lamb and give everything a good mix up. Add the mix to an oven-proof dish and top with the bechamel sauce. Grate the cheddar cheese over the top and season with black better. Put the dish in the oven for 20-25 min (or until golden brown)..
- You now have 20-25 min to do chores and prepare the salad. To prepare the salad: Combine the balsamic vinegar and 4 tbsp olive oil in a bowl. Wash and dry the rocket. Combine and mix with the vinegar & oil. (Some pine nuts and crispy fried onions are also a nice addition.).
- Keep an eye on the bake. Once golden, remove it from the oven. Allow a little time to cool slightly. Serve with the dressed rocket..
Greek Pastitsio – baked pasta dish by Greek chef Akis Petretzikis. A delicious Greek recipe made with ziti pasta, ground meat, béchamel sauce cheeses and herbs! Slow-roasted rosemary leg of lamb is served with roasted vegetables, tzatziki, and Greek salad in this easy but impressive Greek feast. Place in the bottom third of the oven. You can cook this Greek Lamb and Salad Dinner on the stovetop or on the BBQ.