Rice & Peas.
You can have Rice & Peas using 9 ingredients and 1 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Rice & Peas
- It’s 3 cup of Rice.
- You need 1 cup of Of tinned or fresh red peas (either kidney beans or pigeon peas).
- It’s 5 clove of Cloves of Garlic finely choppd.
- Prepare 1 of Uncut Scotch Bonnet pepper (1 jalapeño pepper may be used as a substitute).
- You need 1 cup of Tin or cup of coconut milk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of Black Pepper.
- It’s 2 of Sprigs of Fresh Thyme (2 teaspoons of dried thyme may be ueed as a substitute).
- Prepare 3 of Scallion (spring onions may be used as a substitute).
Rice & Peas step by step
- Cooking If you are using fresh peas (kidney beans) then wash these Pour on three cups of water and leave to soak overnight (nb – there is no need to do this if you are using tinned peas) Crush the garlic and add to seven cups of boiling water If you are using fresh peas add them now and boil for 45 minutes. You can test to see if the peas are cooked by crushing them against the lid of the pot. (If they crush easily, you are ready to move on to the next step) NB – If you are using tinned peas jest add them to the pot and move straight on to the next step. Add your coconut milk, rice, salt, black pepper and thyme to the mix. Crush the scallion (do not chop) and add this. Also add the uncut scotch bonnet pepper, nb – the pepper remains uncut so as to not make the rice spicy, just give it a subtle peppery flavour. The Rice and Peas should be ready after about 40 minutes (exact cooking time will depend on the brand of rice used). The Rice and Peas is now ready to serve!.