My Southern Black Eyed Peas with Collard Greens.
You can have My Southern Black Eyed Peas with Collard Greens using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of My Southern Black Eyed Peas with Collard Greens
- You need 14 oz of cooked organic black eyed peas.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 4 cloves of galric minced.
- You need 1 of medium yellow onion, chopped.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 tbsp of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of water.
- It’s 2 strips of applewood smoked bacon or 1 tbsp olive oil for vegan.
- Prepare 1 of large bunch collard greens chopped into strips (about 5 cups.).
My Southern Black Eyed Peas with Collard Greens instructions
- In a large pot with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, salt and bay leaf and stir for 3 minutes. Take bay leaf out..
- Add the chopped collard greens, vinegar and water and stir. It's possible that all of your greens wont fit in the pot, so add a few handfuls at a time as they wilt..
- Then add the peas. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, checking occasionally and adding more water as necessary..
- In a separate pan, cook the bacon over medium high heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and reserve for another use and add the onions to the pan. (I used bacon bits this time.) Came out delicious..
- Cook the onions in the bacon grease for about 5 minutes or until just translucent. If you used bacon bits just throw the bacon bits and onion in the pot with the greens..
- When the greens are cooked to your liking add the brown sugar, stir until combined and serve..