Southern Baked Squash.
You can make Southern Baked Squash using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here you go how you cook it.
Ingredients of Southern Baked Squash
- You need 5 lbs of Yellow Squash.
- Prepare 1/2 of Lg onion chopped.
- Prepare 2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 stick of butter.
- It’s 1 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs.
Southern Baked Squash Instructions
- Cut up squash into 1 inch size pieces. Place in boiling water for 10-15 mins until squash is easy to cut. Then pull from water and drain well..
- In large bowl mash squash with potato masher. Add butter, 1 cup bread crumbs, eggs, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well..
- Pour mashed mixture into casserole baking dish. Top with rest of bread crumbs..
- Bake in oven at 350 for 34-45 minutes. Remove from oven and serve while hot..
- HINT: I take 4 slices of bread and put in food processor until I get my crumbs for the casserole. Then I take 4 more slices and do the same for the topping. You can used store bought crumbs if you don’t have easy access to food processor..