Nikujaga (肉じゃが) Japanese Beef and Potato Stew.
You can have Nikujaga (肉じゃが) Japanese Beef and Potato Stew using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Nikujaga (肉じゃが) Japanese Beef and Potato Stew
- Prepare 1/2 kg of thinly sliced beef.
- It’s 2 of potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters.
- Prepare 2 cups of warm water.
- Prepare 2 tsp of dashi powder.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 6 tbsp of mirin.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sugar (optional).
Nikujaga (肉じゃが) Japanese Beef and Potato Stew step by step
- Mix dashi powder with warm water..
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil on medium heat. Fry the beef until no longer pink..
- Add potatoes and other optional vegetables (e.g. carrots)..
- Add dashi mixture, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar (if desired). Bring to a boil and skim off the scum from the top. DO NOT STIR IT! The drop lid used in the next step will take care of spreading the flavours..
- Lower heat to medium low and cover with a drop lid (otoshibuta) and let simmer for 30 minutes. If you don't have an otoshibuta you can improvise one with a bit of aluminium foil large enough to rest on top of the stew with small holes poked through it with a knife..