Ratatouille. Ratatouille, while not so straightforward with its action, has almost as much as The Incredibles did, in unique ways. Most memorable is the shotgun scene near the beginning. It was the eighth film produced by Pixar, and was written and directed by Brad.
You can make Ratatouille using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here you go how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Ratatouille
- Prepare 1 of large (1.25 lb) eggplant, cut into 1/3 inch cubes.
- It’s of Salt.
- Prepare 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving.
- It’s 1 of medium zucchini (about 1/2 lb) cut into 1/3 inch cubes.
- It’s 1 of medium yellow squash (about 1/2 lb) cut into 1/3 inch cubes.
- You need 1 of medium yellow onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 of red, orange OR yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice.
- Prepare 5 of large cloves garlic, chopped.
- It’s 5 of large vine-ripened tomatoes (1.75 lb) cut into 1/3 inch cubes, with their juices.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped thyme, plus more for serving.
- You need 3/4 teaspoon of sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil.
- Prep all the vegetables before you start cooking..
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the eggplant and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and starting to brown, 1-12 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside..
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan (no need to clean it). Add the zucchini and yellow squash and cook, stirring frequently, until tender crisp, 3-4 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and transfer to a plate; set aside..
- Add two more tablespoons of oil to the pan and add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for about 3 minutes more. Do not brown. Add the tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste, thyme, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes (if using) and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are broken down into a sauce, 8 to 10 minutes..
- Add the cooked eggplant to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until the eggplant is soft. Add the zucchini and squash and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, or until just warmed through. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Sprinkle with fresh basil and thyme, drizzle with a little olive oil if desired, and serve warm or chilled..
- With a little imagination, there are endless ways to serve ratatouille. Try it: – As a vegetarian main course over grains or polenta – Alongside roasted or grilled meats and fish – Shakshuka-style with poached eggs – Tossed with pasta – Folded into omelets or frittatas – Dolloped over crostini with goat cheese – Straight from the fridge as a snack (it’s delicious cold).
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This is delicious served cold, or reheated in the microwave..
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: Let the dish cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. (Keep in mind that the zucchini won't stay crisp after being frozen.).