Peas and gravy (or peas in a roux).
You can have Peas and gravy (or peas in a roux) using 11 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Peas and gravy (or peas in a roux)
- You need 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 2 can of peas.
- It’s 2 lb of pork stew meat.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s 2 of celery stocks.
- It’s 1/2 of green bell pepper.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s of pepper.
- It’s 4 cup of water.
- It’s 1 can of beef broth.
Peas and gravy (or peas in a roux) step by step
- Dice vegetables and set aside..
- Now you're gonna make a roux. Pour half a cup of vegetable oil into a large pot. Heat over medium high for about 2 minutes..
- Lower heat to medium. Pour in half cup of flour. Add more of necessary. The roux needs to look like a thin watery paste..
- Stir constantly until roux is a very dark brown. While stirring be sure to scrape bottom of pot. If it stops moving for too long it'll burn. It'll look thicker as it cooks..
- Once roux is dark enough add vegetables. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes..
- Next add beef broth..
- Add stew meat. You can chop it into small pieces first of you prefer..
- Add 2 cups of water..
- Cook for about half an hour..
- Add peas..
- Add 2 more cups of water..
- Season to taste. Cook on medium heat for an hour..
- Lower heat and continue cooking for another 45 minutes or until gravy has thickened. It will still be watery when it's done. Not thick like actual gravy..
- Serve over rice..