Veggie Stuffed Yellow Zucchini Squash. Place squash and zucchini shells on a baking sheet, and set aside. Add breadcrumbs, cheese, and remaining ingredients to vegetable mixture; stir well. Spoon vegetable mixture evenly into squash and zucchini shells.
We chatted with Cara Mangini, the author of The Vegetable Butcher cookbook, for further insights on this common summer produce question. Grandma's Stuffed Yellow Squash. "My grandma, who raised me, was an awesome cook. This is a recipe she fixed every summer when our garden overflowed with yellow squash. You can make Veggie Stuffed Yellow Zucchini Squash using 12 ingredients and 37 steps. Here you go how you cook that.
Ingredients of Veggie Stuffed Yellow Zucchini Squash
- You need 1 medium of yellow zucchini squash.
- It’s 1/4 medium of green bell pepper.
- You need 1/4 medium of red onion.
- You need 4 medium of white mushrooms.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of jarred minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of dried parsley flakes.
- Prepare 1 large of egg.
- Prepare 1 cup of all-purpose flour (may not use all).
- Prepare 1 of oil for frying.
- It’s 8 slice of tomato.
- Prepare 4 slice of cheddar or cheese of choice.
My family still enjoys it," writes Janie McGraw of Sallisaw, Oklahoma. I also made a yellow squash cake and a zucchini squash tomato salad to get the other squash used up. However, lately, it seems the summer squash are growing faster than I can cook them. Taco Stuffed Yellow Squash and Peppers Recipe.
Veggie Stuffed Yellow Zucchini Squash Step by step
- Cut ends off zucchini squash..
- Slice squash into 2 equal halves lengthwise..
- Scoop ou all seeds and stringy flesh. ( do not throw out what you scooped out.) ( do not scoop out too much).
- Place seeds and the pulp you scooped out into a bowl. (If seeds are large pick them out.).
- Small chop green pepper until you get 1/4 of a cup..
- Toss chopped green pepper in with squash pulp..
- Small chop onion until you get 1/4 of a cup..
- Toss onion in with green pepper and pulp..
- Small chop mushroom until you get 1/4 of a cup..
- Put mushroom in same bowl as the rest..
- Give it a little stir to mix it up..
- Add salt and pepper, enough to satisfy your own tastes..
- Add garlic.
- Add parsley. Then give it a stir. At this point you can add whatever other seasonings you would like..
- In a seperate bowl wisk the egg until frothy..
- Add half that wisked egg to your veggie mix..
- Stir to mix. Let stand a few minutes. (Your veggies will start to juice) after the few minutes drain out excess egg and liquid by using a small holed collander, mesh strainer or just holding back your veggies while tilting bowl).
- Fill the cavities of your squash with the veggie mix equally. Use all the veggie filling. Packing it in well..
- Using a mesh strainer or a sifter or whatever cover the top filled portion of the squash with flour..
- Gently pack it down..
- Gently Brush a little of the leftover egg over the flour..
- Cover with flour again. And gently pack down again. This is to ensure its well packed and the filling doesnt fall out..
- Gently and carefully flip the squash over so the filling side is down..
- Brush the back side of the squash with egg. This is so the flour will stick..
- Cover back side with flour. Let sit to soak up the egg. Lightly brush with egg again. And sprinkle more flour..
- In a skillet big enough to hold squash heat enough oil of choice (i used veggie) to cover half the squash..
- Gently slide squash into the hot oil..
- Once the first side is golden and crispy gently flip them over and brown side two. You want them crispy and cooked but not mushy..
- Meanwhile set oven to broil (high) and place parchment paper on a baking sheet..
- Gently remove squash from skillet with tongs. Letting the oil drain off..
- Place on baking sheet..
- Place 3-4 slices of tomato across the filled side of the squash..
- Place sheese on top of tomato. ( one i used cheddar the other i used a marble, just use your favorite).
- Place it into the oven/broiler prefferably middle to upper rack..
- Broil or bake until cheese is melted and nicly browned..
- Place upon your plate and serve!.
Need other easy ways to use those summer veggies? Zucchini & Yellow Squash Au GratinSmall Town Woman. Zucchini Yellow Squash and Quinoa CasseroleFrom a Chef's Kitchen. The zucchini and yellow squash are julienned (fancy term for cut into thin strands) and thus meld into the spaghetti as if one (read: my kids couldn't pick out the zucchini and squash because it was all one delicious mess of pasta and veggies). Baked squash shells filled with the squash flesh, onion, tomatoes and bacon and finished with a cheesy crumb topping for a crowd-pleasing side dish.