Napa Cabbage & Bok Choy with Bacon. This is a three-cabbage slaw – green, red, and napa – but the real delight is the dressing. It is made with creamy peanut butter laced with brown sugar, fresh ginger, and garlic. By RRITCHESKE Napa cabbage is tender and sweet.
Napa or nappa cabbage (Brassica rapa subsp. pekinensis or Brassica rapa Pekinensis Group) is a type of Chinese cabbage originating near the Beijing region of China, and is widely used in East Asian cuisine. In much of the world, this is the vegetable referred to as "Chinese cabbage". Find Napa Cabbage ideas, recipes & cooking techniques for all levels from Bon Appétit, where food and culture meet. You can cook Napa Cabbage & Bok Choy with Bacon using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here you go how you cook it.
Ingredients of Napa Cabbage & Bok Choy with Bacon
- You need 1/2 head of Napa cabbage.
- Prepare 1 of small bok choy.
- It’s 4 slices of thick cut bacon.
- Prepare 1 tbs of soy sauce.
- You need 1 tbs of hoisin sauce.
- It’s 2 tsp of honey.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ginger paste (or finely minced fresh ginger).
- Prepare 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- You need 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
Napa cabbage (Brassica rapa Pekinensis) may have originated in Beijing, China as a natural hybridization between a turnip and bok choy. While it is widely used in Asia, it has spread to Europe, the Americas, and Australia. Napa cabbage (also called Chinese cabbage) is great sliced and sautéed with onions and garlic. For a caramelized flavor, cut the cabbage into wedges and roast them until the cabbage is tender.
Napa Cabbage & Bok Choy with Bacon Instructions
- In a small bowl wisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, ginger, sesame oil, and pepper flakes. Set aside..
- Cut bacon to 1/4"strips. Cut green portions of cabbage and bok choy from the white portions. Slice whites into 1/4" pieces, greens into 1/2" pieces. Set green pieces aside for later..
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until crisp and fat has rendered. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate leaving fat behind in skillet..
- Add whites of cabbage and bok choy to skillet. Cook until just tender, stirring frequently. About 5-7 minutes..
- Return bacon to skillet. Add greens and sauce. Stir to combine. Cook just until greens wilt and sauce heats through. About 2 minutes..
- Serve as-is for a delicious side or over rice as a main dish. Enjoy!.
Napa cabbage rolls Image: arfo/Getty Images. Instead of using green cabbage, try some of the larger, outer leaves of napa cabbage. It is also known by the names Chinese cabbage, celery cabbage, and Peking cabbage. The plant grows in a compact, elongated head, with crinkled oblong leaves that are wrapped tightly in an upright cylinder. Make the crunchies: Melt the butter in a pot.