Fish and Chips. Place potatoes in a medium-size bowl of cold water. In a separate medium-size mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Remove the basket and drain the fish and chips on paper towels; season lightly with salt.
Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil. When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden. This is my favorite fish and chips recipe. You can cook Fish and Chips using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here you go how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fish and Chips
- Prepare 2 of big pieces White fish (I used swordfish this time).
- You need 1 of ☆Salt and pepper.
- It’s 1 of ☆Thyme (dried).
- You need 2 of to 3 Potatoes.
- You need 1/2 of Onion.
- It’s of Batter.
- Prepare 80 grams of ◎Flour.
- It’s 60 ml of ◎Dark beer.
- You need 1 of ◎Egg.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ◎Salt.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of ★Plain flour.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ★Baking powder.
- It’s 1 of Lemon.
- You need 1 of Malt vinegar.
It's easy to prepare and your guests will think you're a professional chef! Important Note: Use a deep fryer. It is too dangerous to use even a deep skillet! Originally a dish of the working classes, fish and chips have remained a cultural icon in the UK for going on two centuries.
Fish and Chips Step by step
- Make the batter first. Combine the ◎ ingredients and mix with a whisk until creamy. Let the batter rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Keep having a sip of leftover beer while cooking..
- Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients. Cut each piece of fish in half and rub in the ☆ salt, pepper and thyme over the surface..
- Wash the potatoes with the skin on really well, and cut into wedges. Soak in water to remove the harshness. Cut the onion into rounds, and secure with toothpicks from the outside towards the centre so that they won't break apart..
- Leave everything to sit for a while. Pat dry the potatoes, and start heating up frying oil (not listed)..
- First, deep-fry the potatoes over low heat (around 160℃). Once they have cooked through, turn the heat up to 180℃ to make them crispy. Sprinkle them with salt while they are still hot..
- Coat the fish in the combined ★ ingredients. Shake off any excess flour, dip the fish in the batter from Step 1, and deep-fry them for about 6 minutes in 170℃ oil. Batter the onion in the same way, and deep-fry. Turn up the heat at the end to make them crispy..
- Serve on a plate, garnish with a wedge of lemon, and they're done. Enjoy while they're hot!! Sprinkle with malt vinegar to taste..
AN INTERESTING HISTORICAL TIDBIT: FISH & CHIPS AND WWII Fish and chips is a hot dish consisting of fried fish in batter served with chips. The dish originated in England and is an example of culinary fusion, as its two main ingredients were introduced by immigrants. Fish and chips is a common take-away food in the United Kingdom and numerous other countries, particularly in English-speaking and Commonwealth nations. WHAT KIND OF FISH IS USED FOR FISH AND CHIPS? For my fish and chips recipe, it all starts with the fish.