Black eyed peas/ Raungi. Optional – mix besan and water into a thick paste and add to the ingredients to thicken the curry. Mom's Black Eyed Peas Curry (Raungi or Lobhia. Black Eyed Peas Curry Indian Recipe.
The original recipe looked more saucy due to less peas I suspect. Even today, black-eyed pea dishes are served on such occasions as the birth of a child (especially twins), a homecoming, or a funeral. In addition, West Africans have long considered black-eyed peas as a good luck charm that warded off the Evil Eye. You can cook Black eyed peas/ Raungi using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Black eyed peas/ Raungi
- It’s 2 cups of black eyed peas.
- It’s 5 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 of big cube of frozen masala.
- You need 2 tsp of coriander powder.
- Prepare of I tsp cumin powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of salt or to taste.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of meat masala.
- Prepare 2 tsp of besan with 4 tsp water (mixed) – optional.
- It’s of Garnish.
- It’s 1-2 tsp of Amchur.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of coriander.
- You need 1/2 tsp of meat masala.
People of European heritage could relate to this as well. Black-eyed peas are delicious any day of the year. But on New Year's Day, as the tradition goes, if you eat a dish of black-eyed peas, you'll have prosperity throughout the year. The greens represent cash; the black-eyed peas, coins.
Black eyed peas/ Raungi instructions
- Mix everything in the instant pot leaving out the ingredients for garnishing.
- Optional – mix besan and water into a thick paste and add to the ingredients to thicken the curry..
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes and let the pressure release naturally..
- Open and add Amchur, meat masala and coriander.
- Serve with rice or chapati.
So what is there to lose? These recipes are also a terrific way to use up leftover holiday ham! Once your black eyed peas are tender you can season them up and add any extras you want. You know that can of black-eyed peas hanging out in the back of your pantry? It's time to finally break that baby out!